Favorite Looks from NYFW

Now that NYFW has come to an end, I feel like I can officially comment on my favorite looks from the shows. Fall is undoubtedly my favorite season; designers really get creative with silhouettes and layering. While I am definitely missing many collections from this list, I didn't want to overwhelm you with too much Fall 2012 fashion- I still have plenty of time to do that.

Vera Wang:
This season, Vera Wang played a lot with silhouettes and proportions, making her models literally look like tall drinks of water.



Marc Jacobs:
The master of quirky fashion, Marc Jacobs's show looked like a combination of pilgrims, pimps, and Victorian Mad-Hatters. I'm still deciding how I feel about the show in general, but there were undoubtedly some cool looks.



Rodarte:
Kate and Laura Mulleavy showed us looks that represented their usual whimsy. However, I like that the looks were very Rodarte, but with a bit more polish with the addition of leather and shearling jackets and boots. 

                   




















Proenza Schouler:
Jack McCullough and Lazaro Hernandez continue to experiment with bright colors, Asian prints, and boxy silhouettes in a show that would easily be worn by Leandra Medine of the Man Repeller. 



Altuzurra:
Joseph Atuzurra is quickly becoming one of my favorite designers. He manages to mix sophisticated coats and fur pieces with trendy chunky sweaters and boxy skirts. This edgy-chic vibe is ultimately what almost every fashionista strives to accomplish.




Calvin Klein:
Calvin Klein's Fall 2012 collection was inspired by Rooney Mara; an inspiration that is not lost on the audience due to the dramatic-minimalism that gives Calvin Klein's collection Rooney's signature badass vibe. Also, note the slick-backed ponytails.



Christian Siriano:
Siriano, Project Runway's most famous alum, only gets better with time. His usual frothy glamour was given some playful edge this season with cropped leather jackets, edgy fur pieces, mixing of textures, and dark-lipped make-up


Derek Lam:
I was definitely surprised by Derek Lam this season. His collections usually seem ultra-modern with structured, colorblocked pieces. However, I really enjoyed his foray into the past, giving us vintage glamour with a modern edge.



J. Mendel: 
When I think of J. Mendel, I usually associate him with gorgeous red-carpet worthy gowns. While he produced many of those this season, his collection also showed very wearable, albeit classic and ladylike, pieces.
























Mara Hoffman:
Mara Hoffman showed us her usual boho-chic, beachy looks, but with Fall-appropriate layering.





Monique Lhullier:
This season, Monique Lhullier didn't fail to impress this season with her incredibly detailed, princess-worthy gowns. However, I was impressed with her added-edginess (in the form of cool prints). 

                 
Prabal Gurung:
This season, Prabal Gurung continued to show ultra-cool prints in ultra-cool silhouettes, switching it up from last-season's purple to this season's yellow and blue.
               

Rachel Zoe:
Rachel Zoe's collections always reflect her impeccable personal style- this season, however, definitely signified a shift from basic, tailored pieces to ediger and more bohemian looks.




Tibi:
Tibi showed a surprisingly minimal collection, focusing on simple, wearable pieces. I have no doubt in my mind, though, that this bird print will be huge.


Alexander Wang:
Wang showed his standard utilitarian, urban, edgy pieces, using chunky knits, leather, and structural jackets as standout pieces in his collection.




Theysken's Theory:
Olivier Theysken's, mastermind by the newly revamped Theory, has shown another collection marrying his cool aesthetic with Theory's classic, tailored pieces. The collection was full of luxurious coats, beautiful dresses, and also simple, dressed down skinny jeans and sweaters.

               


   
Rag & Bone:
This season, Rag & Bone mixed prints like a boss. The cropped jackets, structural skirts, printed pants and tops, boots, and leather gloves lead to looks that, while they were busy, worked together harmoniously. 


Marchesa:
Always one of my favorites, the ladies of Marchesa showed countless breathtaking gowns. I wanted to show basically the whole collection because, when it comes to Marchesa, how can you decide which are your favorite looks?

                




10 comments:

  1. Great recap! The Marchesa pieces were amazing!

    http://www.hsquaredfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love New York Fashion week. I wish I could get invited to see some of the runway shows in person! Oh boy, what a dream. :)

    xoxo
    Taylor

    taylormorgandesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing collection!
    I love the Christian Siriano and Derek Lam!

    xx
    www.f-scrapbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. so many beautiful looks!

    inwithdnew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks! I wouldn't have choosen any differently. I totally agree about Marchesa as well, you could have dedicated a whole post to the collection.

    SOCIAL EMISSIONS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it <3!!! Great blog, very cute!! Visit my blog and if you like it to follow me on google friends and I will be happy to follow you back <3
    Xoxo
    LA MODE OUI C'EST MOI
    FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the calvin klein looks!

    http://forallthatjas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear,
    I found your blog by chance, while peeking others and I decided to check it out! I’m glad I did it, because I am really delighted with yours. It's beautiful, well structured, interesting, sweet amazing [probably your own qualities right?] and it has completely got me hooked. I think we're going to get along just fine! ;)
    I'd like to invite you to follow each other. I’d be very pleased.
    I wish you lots of success and will surely come back often
    kisses

    http://cottoncandy-peaches@blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, really love that long burgundy dress from J. Mendel, it's amazing!
    I'll follow you :)
    xxxx
    fashionstiletto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sweetie,

    Just wanted to thank you for having such an inspirational blog. Hope you have an amazing week full of lots of beautiful things.
    Feel free to drop past my blog if you have time =)

    -Mia xoxo
    http://naturezfinest.blogspot.com/
    http://mias101challenge.blogspot.com/2012/01/day-zero-project.html

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover